Fire damage in Michiana can happen at any time. It only takes one mistake and one split second to cause fire damage in your home or business. Space heaters and home heating equipment are the number four most common reason for a house fires at over 65,000 fires per year. With the weather changing and the summer months behind us, everyone is looking to find ways to heat their home efficiently.  With that said, do you know how to safely use a space heater?  First Response specializes in fire damage remediation and has some tips on how you can safely use a space heater in your home.

Here are some helpful tips on how to help prevent a fire due to a space heater.

  • Always, always, ALWAYS select a space heater that has a guard or something surrounding the open flame or heating element. This prevents anything from getting to close to the element and heating up and/or catching fire.
  • Keep space heater an absolute minimum of three feet away from anything that can burn and do not place it below flammable objects or items that may fall.
  • Make sure you have working smoke alarms installed in all floors of your home and test them regularly.
  • Never purchase a heater that has not been certified by a nationally recognized laboratory. This helps to ensure you are purchasing the safest heater possible.
  • Make sure the heater is the correct size for the type of room you are trying to heat. If your heating a small area, there is no need for some massive heater that will heat the room in 2 minutes. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Make sure to leave the door open to the room you’re trying to heat with the space heater. You need to have proper air flow through a room with a heater running.
  • NEVER leave a space heater running if you are going to be leaving the room, leaving the house, and definitely not while you are sleeping.
  • Place space heater on flat/level ground.  Do not place them on a surface that will heat quickly and could catch fire.
  • Always unplug and safely store your space heater when not in use.  MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW TIME FOR THE SPACE HEATER TO COOL DOWN AFTER EACH USE!

First Response responds to fire damage calls year round, not just in the winter. Although, we do find fire damages are more common in the winter months (especially once the Christmas trees go up). A fire is not just caused by a space heater; it can be caused by a number of things. It really can happen to anyone. Either way, First Response is here for you.

If you experience a fire in your home or business, call First Response at 574-288-0500. Our technicians are always ready to help!