Serving South Bend, IN and Surrounding Areas.

The Damage That You Can’t See From Fire

As some of us know all too well, house fires can be devastating disasters that can cause a great amount of damage. Unfortunately, the damage from a fire is sometimes not just clear to the naked eye. While it is easy to spot the physical damage that may have occurred due to a fire such as charred walls, smoke and water damage can also often occur in these situations. Keep reading below to learn more about the different types of unseen damage that may need to be repaired even after a small house fire.

A common type of damage caused by house fires is smoke and soot damage. Smoke and soot particles can seep into carpets, furniture, and other objects in a home quickly forming permanent stains on these surfaces. Additionally, smoke and soot contain toxins that could create health risks if left in the home for an extended period of time. To remove this kind of damage an ozone generator may be needed to help clear out any lingering odors from the smoke as well as neutralize any potential hazards from the toxins present in the soot.

Another less visible type of fire-related damage is water damage caused by extinguishing attempts during a house fire. Fire sprinklers, hoses or other tools used to extinguish the flames will lead to water seeping into walls and coursing through electrical wiring creating potential safety issues if not addressed properly. In extreme cases, waterproofing services may be required to ensure no further flooding will occur after repairs are done.

Structural issues may also arise following a house fire as well depending on how much heat was generated by the flames. Too much intense heat can cause foundation issues or stress the structure of your building leading to weak areas within your residence which could potentially collapse later down the line if not addressed correctly. An engineer should be consulted prior to making any large-scale repairs in order to make sure the affected area is safe enough to move forward with renovations post-fire event.

Last but not least, carbon monoxide poisoning is something you should keep an eye out for during extensive renovations post-fire event due to charcoal remnants spreading throughout your home’s air ducts helping regenerate toxic air particles within your residence long after it has been extinguished. It is important that certified professionals are consulted when dealing with this issue as special equipment like carbon monoxide detectors must be installed for proper ventilation in order for it to be eliminated safely without any risk of harm coming back around again once repairs are done.

As you can see there are many minor damages from a small house fire that require attention when undergoing renovations following such an incident regardless of how insignificant they look at first glance. Contacting experts like First Response and understanding what course of action needs to be taken will go a long way toward creating a healthier and safer environment for everyone requiring no less than optimal results every single time.

business fire, fire damage, house fire, ozone, soot cleanup, south bend disaster, water damage